John joined Schlanger Silver after 35 years of practice as a litigator at major downtown law firms in Houston. He is a determined and aggressive advocate for his clients. John benefitted from trial experience gained in his early career in personal injury cases, and from handling complex commercial cases as his career progressed. John is adept at identifying his client’s goals and formulating a plan to help achieve them. That includes pre-litigation counseling which can help avoid litigation altogether.
John’s clients include oilfield companies, manufacturers, financial institutions, investors, and Chinese entities. He helps clients both in asserting claims and in resisting claims in amounts ranging into the tens of millions of dollars in commercial and energy litigation. He is experienced and capable in all stages of litigation, including pre-litigation, discovery and trial, and brings his intensity and enthusiasm to every task.
John’s Practice Includes
- Contract Litigation
- Oil and Gas/Energy Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Trust Litigation
- Qui Tam Litigation
- Disputes between investors and companies
- Personal injury cases, including toxic torts
Stephen F. Austin State University: 1979 B.A. in Political Economics
University of Texas Law School: J.D. 1982
- State Bar of Texas
- Southern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Defended a manufacturer of gas processing equipment from claims by the buyer that the equipment was defective in design and/or manufacture.
- Represented Chinese companies in pursuing collection of $17 million from buyers of oilfield equipment.
- Defended a bank from claims by trustee beneficiaries based upon oil and gas leases in the Eagle Ford Shale.
- Represented an oil company in a lawsuit to recover the value of misallocated oil offshore.
- Defended a manufacturer in cases relating to exposure to asbestos.
- Defended a manufacturer of oilfield drilling equipment against claims that the equipment was defective and caused the loss of a well.
Membership and Affiliations
State Bar of Texas 1982
Houston Bar Association
Recognitions and Awards
Houstonia Magazine Top Lawyer (Civil Law Litigation), 2021-2022
John is from Nacogdoches County in the Piney Woods of East Texas. He is an avid cyclist and an amateur wine enthusiast. He enjoys reading nonfiction on a wide range of subjects, with a novel thrown in here and there.